The Town of Middletown Utility Billing Office handles the billing and processing of payments for residential and commercial customers of the Town of Middletown's electric, water, sewer and trash services.
The billing office is open Monday through Friday from 8 a.m. to 4 p.m. in person. Customers may call into the office on those days through 4:30 p.m. with questions.
Payments for Town of Middletown Utility Bills can be mailed in, dropped off in the outside utility box along the driveway of Town Hall, or given to the cashiers when a receipt is needed. Please do not use staples or tape, and be sure to write your account number on your check or money order. Also, due to recent potential scams, the Town of Middletown requires a form of ID.
We accept cash, credit cards, debit cards, checks, money orders and cashiers checks at our cashier window. Other payment methods include automatic direct debit and budget billing , which are automatically taken out of your checking or savings account each month when the bill is due. Payments made by debit or credit card over the phone or over the Website are charged a “service fee” by a third-party processing company. The Town of Middletown does not receive any portion of this fee and does not set this fee. No-charge payments can be made over the phone or website using a checking account (routing number and account number).
- Late Payments: Once your utility bill (electric, water, sewer, trash) becomes seven (7) days past due, a 6% late charge will be assessed to your account. Once a bill is seven (7) days past due, electric service is in jeopardy of being disconnected. Any disconnect notice for previous balances will be printed on your current bill (mailed prior to disconnect date).
- Disconnects: Electric service disconnections for non-payment will be done as necessary, weather permitting. Effective Jan. 1, 2017, there is now a $25 disconnect fee. All payments to re-establish disconnected service as a result of non-payment must be made in person at the Town Office, located at 19 W. Green St., Middletown. Payment must be made for entire past due balance. The Town Office will remain open on disconnection days until 7 p.m.
- Adverse Weather: Should adverse weather conditions prohibit service disconnections, disconnection will be rescheduled for the next weather-permitting business day (excludes weekends and holidays). When weather is a factor and disconnections are rescheduled, the Town Office hours will be extended to 7 p.m. on the actual disconnection day only.
- Reconnects: When service is disconnected, your "entire past due balance" must be paid in full. There is a $25 reconnection fee on disconnection days (8 a.m. to 7 p.m.) If you miss making a payment by 7 p.m. that day, payments can be made the following day from 8 a.m. to 4 p.m. to have your service reconnected.
- Payment Arrangements: Your account is entitled to two payment arrangements per calendar year. You are now required to pay at least one-third of the balance due when making arrangements, which must be made prior to the scheduled disconnect day (date found on current bill). To view the payment arrangement policy in full: Payment Arrangement Policy . No payment arrangements can be made once a disconnect call has been dispatched.
If you are unable to pay your bill, you may be able to apply for assistance from one of the following agencies:
Delaware Health & Social Services 122 Silver Lake Road, Middletown
SNCC Neighborhood House, 811 N. Broad Street, Suite 219, Middletown
Catholic Charities, 2099 S. Dupont Highway, Dover
Catholic Charities, 2501 West Fourth Street, Wilmington
If you think your bill may be incorrect, please contact the billing department at (302) 378-2711.